Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Things I like

Science
Curiosity
Humor
Girls
Books
Words
Friends
Openness

"Science is a way of thinking much more than it is a body of knowledge," said Carl Sagan once. Science is my way of thinking about things - the lens through which I view the universe. Or at least I try to think that way. I aspire to be thoughtfully scientific. I think that god and science and math and physics and nature are all the same thing.

Universe = 
uni = one
ver = truth
The Greeks and the mathematicians knew this a long time ago.

I like smart guys. Like my dad. He helped develop Programming Language One and Fortran at IBM in the 1950s.

Here are a few thoughts from some other smart guys. First just a glimpse of Dr.Michio Kaku - a rock star to me. By the way he was part of a team of astrophysicists that consulted with Stanley Kubrick way back in the 1960s about how to do the movie 2001: A Space Odyssey.


What type are we? See below.

I started reading Isaac Asimov books when I was about seven, starting with some kind of book of quizzes for the super intelligent. I think I thought that was a cool book to carry around or something. One of my dad's. Then I moved on to his short stories and essays. To this day he bedazzles me. Here is a link to a site with a list of the books he has written:
http://www.asimovonline.com/oldsite/asimov_catalogue.html 

Here are a few things he said back in the 1950s:

"I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them."

"Never let your sense of morals get in the way of doing what's right."

"Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent."
 
There are lots of other types of smart guys too, here is a quote from a 19th century Bengali poet named Rabindranath Tagore, that I like. I had this on Facebook recently so you may have seen it. I don't know exactly why I like this so much. I think maybe it's because he suggests that it's ok to fail. To fail in life, or even at it.

Let me not pray to be sheltered from dangers but to be fearless in facing them.
Let me not beg for the stilling of my pain but for the heart to conquer it.
Let me not look for allies in life’s battlefield but to my own strength.
Let me not crave in anxious fear to be saved but hope for the patience to win my freedom.
Grant that I may not be a coward, feeling your mercy in my success alone; but let me find the grasp of your hand in my failure.
 
Here are a few other things I like:



7 comments:

  1. Great list, and I love the Tagore quote and the girl pics, and YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Could you please rec a book for my ten year old? JA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  3. The Absolutely True Diary of a Part Time Indian by Sherman Alexie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Neat post, one that helps us get to know you better.

    ReplyDelete