Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Chemosabe

Ok so get a load of this. Some factoids about the drugs I am about to ingest, as per my doctor's reading material handed to me by hand for me to read. Oh freaking great.

I am taking TAC. That's my regimen.

Taxotere is classified as a "plant alkaloid," a "taxane" and an "antimicrotubule agent." It's all natural - maybe there's even a granola bar version or something at Whole Foods. Or maybe at Whole Poisons? Anyway this little clear blue liquid ensemble is apparently fashioned out of periwinkle plants (catharanthus rosea) and the bark of the Pacific Yew tree (taxus). They mix in some podophyllotoxins from the May apple plant and some analogs from the Asian "Happy Tree." What the hell? This sounds like some kind of new Marc Jacobs perfume. Happy Perwinkle May Blossom! One spray and you'll knock 'em dead. And I love that word PODOPHYLLOTOXINS. All I got out of it were toxic pods. Like invasion of the toxic pod people.

Adriamycin is an antibiotic. Hey, that sounds right friendly! I love them thangs! Ya take 'em and your strep throat skedaddles! Cool. No prob. But wait, here's a little quote: "Adriamycin is a vesicant.  A vesicant is a chemical that causes extensive tissue damage and blistering if it escapes from the vein," and it must be administered by a "highly trained professional." Hmmm...me no likey that. It can also interfere with your heart a little bit - but only the blood pumping part. And there is a baby risk for getting blood cancer but I will ignore that. Oh and here's a cool thing - it's made from a special soil fungus.
Then there's Cytoxan. It's another alkylating agent in the same family as mustard gas and metal salts. That's about all the reading I care to do today regarding incoming liquids of the unwanted variety.

I feel dreamy. I feel floating. I feel nervous. It comes and goes but ever more the clock ticks and it's a horrid anticipatory dread. I cannot see the future. I mean of course I know I will be here next week and next month and next year, that's not what I mean - I mean that beyond 10:45 am this Thursday I cannot make out a picture of what I will be. Like - often on Friday nights I watch TV and we order Conan's pizza. I always get a salad with blue cheese dressing and anchovies and I cut them up. I swear, that's the best salad in town - bar none. Jeffries, Four Seasons, eat your heart out. I settle down after a long week, with my kids or whoever's kids are around, on the couch, have a top shelf gin and tonic (Fever Tree anyone?) and just chillax with some high quality low quality TV and a superb salad n pizza. Hmmmm.....do people on chemotherapy do such things? Or will I be flat on my back out cold in the bathroom? Or sipping chicken soup old lady style while bundled in a shawl? Sleeping? Feeling grotesque? Feeling sort of ok? I HAVE NO IDEA and that drives me crazy. Do I have book club Sunday? If I do will I go? Did I read the book? What is the book? Do chemo types drink wine? Will I be able to drive? Why did my doctor give me nausea meds whose side effects include bad headaches? I don't want a headache. Why didn't she give me a refill on the anti-nausea drug that is also an anti-anxiety but yet she gave me three refills on the other ones? I don't know anything at all.

22 comments:

  1. You put things better than anyone. How about writing a book while doing the chemo gig?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What I meant above was, the same answer as the end of my blog: I don't know

      Delete
    2. Yea I get it but I have such confidence in you, even in the face of uncertainty. If you said you were going to not only do chemo and write a book but also get a PhD and run for Congress this winter, I'd not doubt it one second. I love you!

      Delete
  2. JA...good idea about the book. Amy, I hope you can eat your pizza and salad from conans and yes I think you can drink wine at your book club on Sunday! Thank you for your post and keeping us all up to date...

    ReplyDelete
  3. What are you reading for book club?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A room with a view A Room With A View in one group and The Things They Carried in another

      Delete
    2. I'm enjoying A Room with a View : )

      Delete
  4. Amy, you are so funny. I laughed out loud at the Marc Jacobs perfume. I am glad that you can maintain a (somewhat twisted) sense of humor through this. Tonight I went back and read the other woman's blog about the red poison and I have to say it is no wonder that you are feeling scared. It sounds so awful. Permission granted to anyone taking this stuff to "whine" (as her friend so indelicately put it). We will be there for you. And I think we will all be counting the days/weeks until it is over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked it! The whole thing is funny! Fiona stole my new scarf - she loves it!

      Delete
  5. Great writer you are...you cheer us in some asinine hilarious way when you are feeling such dread of the unknown. If you could predict that future....hummmm... My crystal ball
    See pizza, salad, wine and whatever else you want

    ReplyDelete
  6. U knowing my mom, thought I'd share a funny story that maybe only you'd get. Told her I was getting mamo that was way overdo....she said make sure you go lay out on the road so big truck can run over your boobs before you go because that's what it feels like. She is a hoot...crazy...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amy dear! You will not change, demanding the things you value as always. I do feel bad though that you will feel bad. I wish I could wave a magic and make it all go away. I know it sounds polly-annish, but after tomorrow, you have only five to go, but counting the times left is what keeps me sane about this whole situation. You will conquer. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rebecca Dunn D'AmicoOctober 23, 2013 at 6:26 AM

    Conan's salad...I'm on it. Had no idea. No doubt I think you will feel different, shitty, out of it but it's the not knowing that would erk a person like you said. Each persons approach and attitude is different. We are all here with you, being with you, or reading and waiting with you...thinking of you. You are a delicious bull whip and the crap will pass. Anti nausea... let me know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh a delicious bull whip - I may have to use that

      Delete
  9. Doing a drive by today, if your home I want to give you a hug, if not I will leave your suprise on your door...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi! I'm Trish Potts and I know Ean Fulks who encouraged me to read your blog. I was diagnosed in Feb. 2012 and after some surgeries it was determined I was at stage 4. It's been an interesting ride to say the least. But that sense of floating around your own timeline, not knowing what happens next has been both the hardest for me. But learning to be comfortable in this second has changed me in ways I wish I had changed long ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trish - how are you doing now? Thinking of you .

      Delete
  11. Amy you -are- writing a book, aren't you? Can't imagine any better.
    I think Seamus Heaney once commented "Between my finger and my thumb, the squat pen rests; smug as a gun."

    ReplyDelete