Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Hearing

Was I missing something? My very ear talked to me. Today it hurt me, then hurt me again, then screamed at me. It boiled with fury inside and I turned inward to consider it - what was this pain? At that exact moment, in public, my vision split and zig zagged into migraine. All at once I was a sea of sick pain. All random - nothing to do with cancer. Just something. Stress yes I submit that to the panel I know you know already and I know that you know that I know it so don't tell me.


So I'll read poetry:

The Room of My Life

BY ANNE SEXTON
Here,
in the room of my life
the objects keep changing.
Ashtrays to cry into,
the suffering brother of the wood walls,
the forty-eight keys of the typewriter
each an eyeball that is never shut,
the books, each a contestant in a beauty contest,   
the black chair, a dog coffin made of Naugahyde,   
the sockets on the wall
waiting like a cave of bees,
the gold rug
a conversation of heels and toes,
the fireplace
a knife waiting for someone to pick it up,
the sofa, exhausted with the exertion of a whore,   
the phone
two flowers taking root in its crotch,
the doors
opening and closing like sea clams,
the lights
poking at me,
lighting up both the soil and the laugh.
The windows,
the starving windows
that drive the trees like nails into my heart.   
Each day I feed the world out there
although birds explode
right and left.
I feed the world in here too,
offering the desk puppy biscuits.
However, nothing is just what it seems to be.   
My objects dream and wear new costumes,
compelled to, it seems, by all the words in my hands   
and the sea that bangs in my throat.


This next one I cut out and mailed to Jara year (years?) ago cuz we do that and today I got it back in the mail from her thank you 

Horse Piano
BY ANNA MCDONALD
The idea is to get a horse, a Central Park workhorse.
A horse who lives in a city, over in the hell part of Hell’s
   Kitchen, in a big metal tent.
 You have to get one who is dying.

 Maybe you get his last day on the job, his owner, his
    tourists.

 You get his walk back home at the end of the day,
some flies, some drool. You get his deathbed, maybe.

 And then, post mortem, still warm, you get the vet or else
    the butcher
 to take his three best legs. And then you get the taxidermist
    to stuff them
 heavy, with some alloy, steel, something.

 Next day you go over to Christie’s interiors sale and buy a
    baby-grand piano,
 shabby condition but tony provenance, let’s say it graced the
    entry hall
 of some or other Vanderbilt’s Gold Coast classic six.

 And you ask the welder you know to carefully replace the
    piano legs
with the horse legs, and you put the horse/piano somewhere
  like a lobby,
and you hire a guy to play it on the hour, so that everybody
    will know

 how much work it is to hold anything up in this world.
 
 Source of the text - The New Yorker, December 19 & 26, 2011
 
I'm listening
 
 
 


 

5 comments:

  1. I woke with a migraine headache as well. Perhaps it was environment related. I hope that tomorrow is better.- Julia H

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy, you don't know me but I am following your story as I know Jara and anything she recommends I am going to follow up on. Your writing style is great, really interesting and I look forward to what you'll say next. Since I am not your friend (yet) I don't feel its appropriate or sincere enough to say I hope today is a better day. But I did want to tell you that I loved that poem about the Horse Piano. Shit its dark and awesome. I lived in NYC for 13 years and started out in Hell's Kitchen and I saw a lot of those broken down horses. I hope that you don't see yourself as one of those horses. From just a few of your posts, I know I don't and I have a lot to compare to. Anyway, someone out there and far away from you is already looking forward to next bit of strange beauty you share. -Stacy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stacy I meant the comment below to be a reply to you - even I don't know how to reply in my own blog. Let's be friends, I like you

      Delete
  3. I've heard about you, and I'm very happy to have you read my blog. It's nice to know that someone gets why I love these so much. I love the darkest of the dark

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe you ear is full of information and also tired of listening to the babble that goes on around you.. You know who to listen to! You have great ears.. ears for poetry and ears for music and ears for all the teeny bopper girls. Turn your ears inside out and listen to Amy. Give her whatever she wants and needs.

    ReplyDelete