Sunday, November 3, 2013

Birthday


I've always had an image in my mind of a river running underneath and inside me, all the time, of time, and of me and mine. My brother is in my mind like this 24 hours a day underneath. He was born 16 months after I was here, died 18 years later, and is rarely spoken of or even acknowledged consciously - even by me. People love to say when someone dies "We'll never forget!" This is not true. We do forget and it's a balm. You can't go around in a high state of anxiety or blistering searing love pain - you'd die. So your mind forgets. But it's ok because inside you that person resides and is in that subconscious river and you can dip in. I do. It's ok.

We were all just little.

He used to drive my parents huge horrid red station wagon (Harriet Gronglebeiner) through our yard, weaving through the trees in our yard, jumping on the gas and the brakes in rhythm while screaming out the lyrics to "Once in a Lifetime" by Talking Heads. His favorite band.

"You may find yourself living in a shotgun shack 
You may find yourself in another part of the world 
You may find yourself behind the wheel of a large automobile 
You may find yourself in a beautiful house with a beautiful wife 
You may ask yourself, well, how did I get here? 
Letting the days go by, let the water hold me down."


When I shower I find myself spitting. The water is so distasteful that I clench my lips together to keep out even a drop and when one of course gets in I spit like a wretched little boy - it's disgusting. That word again.

Some people shy away. You'll be here soon. I'm sorry, I really am. I'll be there for you and I forgive you now. You just don't know. Blissful.

I've been reading John Keats lately. I'm freaked by his "Ode On a Grecian Urn" - that
"Thou still unravish'd bride of quietness, 
Thou foster-child of silence and slow time,"
blows my mind. Bride of quietness - married to silence, the depth of space, the infinite. The foster child of time, as we all are. Yet unravished, because, as art / beauty it has no time or physical human reality. The rest of it is lovely and has been analyzed much by much better minds than mine - go study it if you want. 

Here are a few more of his words that I relate to now as a person of odd sleep:

From: Sonnet To Sleep

"O soothest Sleep! if so it please thee, close,
In midst of this thine hymn, my willing eyes."

YES please sleep knock me out at any time. Take me!

And he says:

"Turn the key deftly in the oiled wards,
And seal the hushed casket of my soul."

My soul is kinda caskety today.

Some cool art I've been looking at online from a book called Codex Seraphineanus:

Still feeling rotten and wretched and wondering if I'm normal or did they somehow give me way too large a dose or am I a weak little mousling. Equilibrium changes - I used to flip my body in the air backwards in twisting flips for hours a day on the tramp as we called it and even before chemo lately I'd feel green on a swing set or in a cartwheel - ha! Now it's putrid green 24/7 and I kinda give up.

Lots of lovely visitors lovingly visiting bestowing lovely gifts thank you.

More Once in a Lifetime:
"You may ask yourself, how do I work this? 
You may ask yourself, where is that large automobile? 
You may tell yourself, this is not my beautiful house 
You may tell yourself, this is not my beautiful wife 
Letting the days go by, let the water hold me down 
Letting the days go by, water flowing underground 
Into the blue again, after the money's gone 
Once in a lifetime, water flowing underground 
Same as it ever was, same as it ever was, same as it ever was, same as it ever was 
Same as it ever was, same as it ever was, same as it ever was, same as it ever was"



13 comments:

  1. I can relate, Amy, to your comment about about a loved one who has passed is still inside you. Despite your parents having been gone for several years, I swear they have NOT passed to the other side. I feel like we just have not spoken in awhile, so I still await serenely for Burnyce's knock-out ham and cheese macaroni casserole and Ray's spirited White Russians. It is happily peaceful. Damn the meds though. Wish they would cut you some slack for a few days!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that song. Talking Heads were my favorite band in college. Love the pictures - the one of your brother is so seventies, and yet kind of classic, too. (My brothers at that age always seemed to be photographed wearing plaid pants.) Love the funny face you are making (that you still make). Hate that you are still feeling so nauseous. Surely it will decrease in the coming days?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this post. It's so beautiful. "Time isn't holding us, time isn't after us." (This song is timeless.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The little girl with the pointed toe
    was in
    other pictures
    all
    with her toe pointed
    getting ready to show the world
    her cartwheels in space still with the pointed toe?
    I don't forget my son
    as
    the grief
    takes hold hard these days although
    it was at Thanksgiving
    20o2
    when
    his great-good
    light
    went out
    from this world.
    Ray, Burnyce
    Max
    are still on our minds even if submerged
    yet
    their love
    surrounds us still
    today ~~~~~~~
    Love

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amy, the first picture of you could have been taken YESTERDAY……….or maybe pre-CHEMO. You haven't changed! That LittleDevilDarling will come back out on the other side of the drugs. I promise.
    And I have a distinct memory of you leading all others at a wedding breakfast for your comrade daughterinlaw, Nancy, to the TRAMP! Some of us get knocked down, but never grow up. Thank-ee, JESUS!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The photo of your brother jolts me. It exudes boyness, vitality. His spirit. I feel I know him a bit now that I have seen it. Know him a bit more no that I know he sang "Once in a Lifetime" all the time. Do we know our fate?

    The Romantics seemed to have lived at a much higher rate of vibration than we. Maybe because death was so close, honored as the heart of life. Not denied. Shelley: "Life is the vale of soul making." They all died young. This life holds us to the three dimensions. And time is the most imposing of the three. But perhaps our souls enter the other ones, and the more we are able to imagine something beyond our experience, the more we are of the water rather than in it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the idea of living at a vibration. I totally relate to that. Your responses are wonderful here Leila. You are a writer! Do you know that I respond to your responses? I'm just curious

      Delete
  8. Leila, I have to read your comment slowly, and a couple of times over, because every sentence has so much meaning. Or maybe it takes me longer to absorb deep thoughts? Time IS the most imposing of the dimensions, and maybe gravity is second? And the the non-duality of existence, to imagine being part of something outside our experience, feels very true, even at a molecular level.

    ReplyDelete