Monday, November 18, 2013

Paragraphs

A paragraph is a square. A state. A Colorado, a Utah, an Arizona, a New Mexico. A Montana. But when you put them all together it's not a continent, but instead, a log jam floating jostling all together loosely or tightly all going downriver. All going down down down to the sea. The primordial sea. The C. There, they break loose for an eonic second and form into their continental selves, rippling around the edges before sealing and conjoining into the essays and manifestos and books that create. They harden and sink, some cracking on the bottom, never to be seen under mud.

Yesterday was one of the worst days I have ever experienced on this planet. Every minute was a day and the day was pain 

"You know the day destroys the night 
Night divides the day 
Tried to run 
Tried to hide 
Break on through to the other side"
(The Doors)

and it was midnight and it was 11 AM. I never felt so I never felt so I never felt so bad. People came and went and I was prone. They asked if I wanted a lavender Epsom salt bath. They asked if I wanted soup. They asked if I wanted juice. I tried to say yes to everything but I wasn't listening at all to any words. 


This morning I'm afraid to get out of bed and afraid to stay in bed. Everything irritates. Kindness is a knife. Smeared.


My aunt sent me a tiny Bassett hound. When I was growing up we had two Bassett hounds named Molly and Mary Jane. They were horrible pets, low to the ground, crocodile-like to we three little kids, with short lizardly out-arching feet that scratched us with their long horny nails, and huge mean angry nursemaid mouths that barked lowly at us. They did not like us children. They were Ottomans. They were set pieces. They were my mother's idea of a joke, and a bit of antique furniture. Molly had 13 puppies and we made the front page of the Boulder Daily Camera in 1966. I was afraid of her. But looking back on it I now see how droll it was to have basset hounds and now this little Bassett now is comforting to me.

See how I've spread out into an amalgomous menace blob of bathrobe and hat and pillow and sickness and miasma and ooze? I am revolting I am revolting. I revolt I revolt I revolt. I result. Underneath that mountain of fuzz I'm melting.

The word nausea is based on the Greek nautia for "sailor" - and the feeling that comes with it. I'm in a chamber. Get me out please. 


A "miracle" drug failed me this weekend - the Sancuso patch - a dreadful sticky wicket of headache blur and cash that I ripped off after 16 hours of seasick royal. Where is my 21st century? 

God I've got to stop complaining. Burnyce would be mortified - actually at any of my public confession here. My mother the iconoclast - was secretly ravishingly private and would balk at this journal, but I have to express. Times had changed, have, and she didn't notice. I miss her so much. I want her to tuck me in. But I'm relieved that she can miss this worry - that's better I think.  

That generation of rose colored glasses - were they on to something? Maybe just a little bit? Shall I try? Ok here goes: I'm going to be ok, I have felt better but I'll be fine, not to worry. That does sound better I'll admit. For the public. And it's true but not the whole truth. Even I can't fathom this. Poison to cure?

And another piece sinks to mud.

15 comments:

  1. You keep writing and I keep reading. I am soo sorry that this poison is needed. I am glad that you are able to continue to express yourself. As long as you write, I will continue to read. - J.H.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, you know what I think about the rose colored glass let's not speak the truth position. In your last post, in the midst of your misery, you spoke about wild creatures "acting out who they are purely and openly with no regrets or thoughts or feelings or knowledge even." And they have no trauma. They shake out the energy that, if kept locked up, would result in trauma. Your writing this is your shaking out the horror of being powerless over your pain. And what would it be for Violet and Fiona to see so clearly that you are in pain but to hear you say you are fine? We humans have much to learn about being animals with more intelligence than is many times good for us.

    You are not complaining You are speaking truth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like how you see the good in me! Thank you!

      Delete
  3. I am so sorry to hear you are feeling so bad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was really hoping for you that this cycle would be better. I love that you're being honest and real and not putting on a false front. Hoping this nastiness is short-lived. Love the basset hound and glad it's comforting to you. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sweets. I hear you want out of the chamber. Here's a hand - Take hold! LIft -- up up up ~~ out and above and on top. ~~~~ |A little better is a great-beyond step! Love you ~~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But -- do you in really feel out of the chamber? Once when I was so down I was choking under a mountain and someone sent down a hand for me and -- it was as if he really did pull me out -- but I think it was for me in my own problem hat just knowing someone was trying to pill me up -- did pull me up. If in one iota you felt that then I am sooooo happy! Up precious child. Please feel a little bit better -- and goodness. I don't know what to say/ Love!

      Delete
  6. My heart hurts for you. I am both glad that we have something strong and deadly enough to fight cancer for you and appalled that you have to go through this to reach the other side. Love and good vibes coming your way, hopefully bringing less pain with them. Love you lady!

    ReplyDelete
  7. OK, Writing Woman, you're feeling better now. But the C is being chipped, chipped, and chipped away. Burnt & burnt. Yesterday you met your core. You are Burnyce! And she is YOU! Surprise! You can do this! You are DOING this! Everything's a revelation -- lucky girl, but I don't think we remember. loving you through this, auntie m

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just keep confessing you will be well and send all the bad stuff out of your body....into the wind it goes

    ReplyDelete