Thursday, November 14, 2013

Chemo two day Thursday November 14, 2013

First off to teach or learn in class today. Got fully made up with lipstick and a tablespoon of Urban Decay in order to offset the ugly globe of distorted continents that is my head right now. 

I gave my students a quiz today on some readings they did - here are some of the questions if you want to try!

1. What is a meme?
2. Gleick (author of The Meme Pool) said that belief in god is an ancient meme passed on through words and also through two other methods. What are they?
3. Researchers say that because Facebook gives you so many day to day intimate details of everyone else's lives - it's similar to a what?
4. Who started Facebook and where? (This was my easy giveaway question!)
I forgot the rest.

The chemo room is very friendly. A lovely women with a beautiful accent is handing out little Whole Foods ginger candies to help us all with the blech feeling:


Here are pictures of me from this morning after the make up spackle event, first without my hat, and with my skater hat from Zumiez skateboard shop. (Never mind that I'm 35 to 40 years older than the ironic Zumiez target audience):
I think it's a far far better thing with the hat.

Fast forward a couple hours and now I'm in the chemo lab chatting away with Vicki and Kris, who brought me a P. Terry's cheeseburger, french fries and Coke. Remember you're supposed to eat and behave teenageriahly on chemo day.
Attacks of tears dripping in. I typed that wrong but I like it. What I meant was the Taxotere is dripping in. I just learned from my nurse Laverne that when patients used to get this horrorshow drip drug in the 90s the victim/corpse would have to receive it in the ICU because it almost killed them. Now "we can manage the symptoms so much better!" Ha! Oy vey.

My view consists of Vicki, reading a Jeffrey Eugenides story in The New Yorker, after she read the article on pot; and Kris doing another smarticle particle crossword puzzle - she's about to take on the Sunday New York Times. She won't share with me, she doesn't believe in doing crossword puzzles together with other people, because she's too smart. I'm bugging her about leaving me out but she doesn't notice I think. Maybe I'm just jealous she can just fill it in square after square.

Today I have two sweet nurses! Laverne is an Austin native and teller of cool chemo tales. She's a sweetie. And Sabrina is as darling as ever though she worries that her Afro is lopsided so we had to take a few pictures. Both are kind to me.

I found out exactly how much of each drug I'm getting - it's based on the square inches of my skin and my weight! Anyway today's doses are:
Taxotere: 134 mg
Cytoxan: 895 mg
Adriamycin: 89.5 mg

On my last drug now. 4:15 pm. Adria. The red devil. My 89 milligrams of hell. It still gives me the creeps. Sabrina has to crimp the tube every minute or so to stop the flow in, to suck my blood back out and look at it in some magic way to ascertaine whether or not it's going into a vein and not burning my skin or my me, before she then continues to push it in.
Now I'm home with some elves helping - Kris is stirring the dinner, Vicki is fussing around the house beautifying it, and Mona is checking on me - and Mike is next to me on the couch - my home for a while. The kids are shut up in their rooms, and I'm feeling steroidally calm and mostly pretty fair. Feels good to have friends and family. So many sweet messages today thank you all.

11 comments:

  1. What an adventure! Your vivid descriptions keep me present. Kate loves the white snuggy cap. She also said "Aunt Amy doesn't look bad at all!" Kate is right. And more importantly, Aunt Amy is getting perfectly healthy, so we can enjoy her for decades to come :). Love you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Margaret! My family is getting tired of my crabbiness!

      Delete
  2. Oh my fucking god. I just wrote the most coolest comment. I hit publish and it all went blank. Ok, here's a fucking recap: I've met Blake but not Vicki. They don't tell you that you lose your hair after just 1 chemo treatment. If you looked at you with objective eyes you would see that you are radiant. I just learned you don't need 2 spaces after a sentence anymore. I cannot believe that my first try at this comment thing went blank. It might have made you smile. Love you to pieces. I am now copying this in case it goes blank upon trying to publish.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad you are surrounded by love, hugs and sarcasam! I love your play by plays and hope and pray this round takes it easy on you. Love and hugs friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for keeping up. How are you feeling?

      Delete
  4. Hiah Amy! I know you will be feeling crappy in a few days, but was thinking of stopping by over the weekend to say hi! Up for a visit from puppy? --JDavis

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looking great in your hat/scarf!! Thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chemo nurses are the best people on earth, it's true. I like the hat.

    ReplyDelete