Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Where ya been

They ask. Well some of the nicest people in the world, also known as my actual blog readers (a small group), have asked me why I haven't been blogging much lately. The truth is, because I'm boring, 

And/or.

I've been busy and I've been feeling really pretty great (Albert Einsteinishly - that is, relatively - and relativity makes all all all the difference) so I guess I don't have as much to complain about. I don't have much to say. What the hell does that say about me? That I'm only interesting when I am a cantankerous carbuncle of disgustingness stuck on the side of a piece of cardboard left out in the rain? That I only have something worthy to say when I'm complaining? That really there's nothing much to regular me? Or that feeling shitty just gives me an excuse to pretend to express myself when really I have nothing to express? Perhaps.

Let it be.

Today is Tuesday. I have my third set of chemotherapy in two days - on Thursday. I've compartmentalized this incredibly well. In nesting boxes. Thursday is lying in a very small compartment that is inside a box on aisle 17 of my mind. You cannot get to that box unless you go find the librarian in charge just to look up its coordinates in the card catalog but she's kind of too busy to even look right now. She's off in the stacks with the dark janitor. Anyway if you you catch her attention, and she finds the information you're seeking, and then gets a warehouse person, you can go down a dark steep corridor and get one of those beeping machine car pallet movers to drive up that aisle, then telescope way up to the top shelf. He/you/I might be able to pull down the box/compartment that contains the knowledge that I will be doing chemotherapy on Thursday if you really want that box. I don't. 

Thursday will find me feeling violently disgustingly sick again. Thursday will be 12 days long. 262 hours. I don't really want to think about that ever. Much less do it. Even though at the same time I am honest and of course I know this is coming. I'm dreading it but my dread is underneath a layer of strawberry ice cream that is planetary.

Weirdly, this experience has been a tiny little bit like childbirth - in that you forget the pain a little bit as time goes by. It recedes. This is good, otherwise I might be in a mental institution. I am not kidding. 

So far my chemotherapies go like this: 12 days of feeling like death, followed by eight or nine days of feeling progressively better, first like 20% of yourself, then 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80, 87. Then you remain at 87% normal for a few days, and then the cycle starts over on day 21. Or something.

So at noon on Thursday, yes, I am back on chemotherapy once again. I KNOW!!!!

I thought about dropping one of the drugs that is in my regimen, and I still don't know if I'm going to. Adriamycin. I won't know if I'm going to take it or not right up until the moment that the needle pierces the plastic tube that pierces my chest. 

I've done so much research on Adriamycin that I have decided completely against it and to never take it again. NEVER! Then when I dug a little bit further into the research I decided that yes I must take all six doses of Adriamycin and it's extremely important that I do so! YES! And then when I researched a little bit more I came up with the conclusion that was somewhere in the middle of those two poles. A big fat: UHHHHH UM UHH YEAH LIKE HMMMM UH UM 

I could sneak into a conference right now and give a fairly lucid speech on this drug. I'll let you know what my latest final plan is. Presently.

I'm also thoroughly not impressed with the drugs of the 21st-century. They promised me drugs. They promised us jet packs. They promised us impenetrable raincoats. They lied. 

Zofran doesn't do anything for me. Compazine is a freaky old drug from 50 years ago that doesn't do anything for me. Lorazepam is a raindrop on a Patagonia coat. Phenergan works a little bit but it also has this nasty side effect called akathesia plus another one called tardive dyskinesia. More on the tardive thing in a sec.

Let us examine akathisia first:

Akathisia, or acathisia (from Greek καθίζεινkathízein - "to sit", a- indicating negation or absence, lit. "inability to sit") is a syndrome characterized by unpleasant sensations of inner restlessness that manifests itself with an inability to sit still or remain motionless. The term was coined by the Czechneuropsychiatrist Ladislav Haskovec (1866–1944), who described the phenomenon in 1901.[1][2] (from the not too great but thoroughly informative Wikipedia)

Reglan is another drug that appears to have not much of an effect on me, and like Phenargen, it is rather impressively famous for the side effect called tardive dyskinesia that I introduced above. Which can be permanent. A week or so ago I was getting some fluids and medicine at a clinic because I felt so poorly, and the nurse practitioner ordered Reglan for me la la la. I slumped there, panting, waiting for relief, and my ears pricked up. I overheard one of the nurses say in an extremely amazed way (you'll have to add emotion to this that kind of make it sound like you're shocked and shrieking a little bit and your voice went up a bit higher): "REALLY!!!???  Are you SURE?????" I was granitely dulled out but even in this state the reptilian part of my brain awoke. So I looked it up. 

Let us know examine tardive dyskenisia:

"a neurological disorder characterized by involuntary uncontrollable movements especially of the mouth, tongue, trunk, and limbs" (from the Merriam-Webster online dictionary)

The best way to treat this is to prevent it, in other words don't freaking do a drug that could cause this because it can become permanent. And real real real bad. Mind you, when I was feeling as bad as I was, kind of like the last person at the very tip of the Titanic as it was going down, but they were welcoming the icy sea, I possibly would've traded feeling well for those symptoms above. I really would have considered it. In fact I did consider it and I said yes give me the damn drug. Right now. But it didn't work. Yes I took it that's how bad I felt, but it didn't do anything. 

Damn.

Believe me there's a lot more that you could look up on both of these peculiar little side effects, but the more you read the worse it gets so I pretty much stopped reading about them for fear of wanting to jump into a mineshaft. Reading about side effects of drugs is a rabbit hole.

Okay back to my original rant on drugs. So far I have not encountered an antinausea drug that really makes me feel good while I'm doing chemotherapy. And so, I'm becoming dismayed at the entire medical world, and its apparent lack of ability to look at the whole patient. I mean here is a person who feels absolutely dreadful, miserable, low, apathetic, and what they hear is: have you tried drinking ginger ale? (Smile at the rumpled person). Well take the Zofran, and if that doesn't work you can take a Phenergan, and that that doesn't work you can actually take a third drug! (Look sympathetically at the gross human crumpled before you). Et fucking cetera.

But wait! THEY DON'T WORK! Where are the miracle drugs? I'm asking for Marinol. After that morphine. Am I kidding? Don't know.

Oh well. What else?

Today I threw my class a party, because it was my last real day to teach. For the entire year. Well that sounds melodramatic since the year is ending in a few weeks. I should say until next fall, which is a big deal for me teaching is my favorite thing and it's very hard for me to take the spring semester off, but I've decided I should do this because of how I feel. Well it is the last day for the academic year. This is sad for me. 

So this morning Mike and I made 25 breakfast tacos. By hand, he made the bacon, and I scrambled 24 eggs at once, which was rather hilarious. I brought my kids with me to school and we served each student a breakfast taco and some homemade chocolate chip cookies and some orange juice. We waitressed quite nicely. It was a fun day.

And I've been cramming Christmas shopping in the last few days, in preparation for being down and out for most of the Christmas shopping season. That is also been fun. Doing regular ordinary things is really great for me right now.
I received a beautiful cashmere scarf and hat from Italy today, thank you Annalisa. How incredibly sweet of you. People have been so kind to me, I hope that you all know how much I appreciate you.
drove on the field trip yesterday with the eighth-grade at NYOS charter school. It was fun even though there was some squabbling and arguing amongst the 13 and 14-year-old girls about who got to ride in the van and sometimes the art of graceful living was not very full of grace. However I loved it all. And I shall do it again.

Tonight I am going out to dinner with my breast cancer support group. We are going to discuss how much of your boob caves in after some of it is scooped out. We might even strip off our shirts and do a comparison right there at the brewpub. I have no idea. 

Last night I went to a bookclub hadn't been to for a few months, and it was a breath of fresh air and several glasses of fresh wine, and many many hours of fresh laughter and conversation. It's been good getting back to some fun. 

And now I will be getting back to my cave. But I'll be writing to you from there, and waving.


From "Atlantis" by Ellie Goulding:
Where'd you GO? Where'd you GO? Where'd you GO? Where'd you GO? 
Where'd you GO? 

I'll forget you not
I'll forget you not
I'll wait for you... for you... maybe

Where'd you GO? 
Where'd you GO? 

Where'd you GO? 

26 comments:

  1. very cute hat and scarf. When it comes to buying gifts for people I am clueless, just tell me what you want and I will get a version of it. I hear weed is good for nausea and ginger beer, not ale. ale is too sweet. The drugs that make you feel good are on the street somewhere, but I would not go there. I think it is best you compartmentalize the chemo treatments, keep the procedure back there in the coal mines of your thoughts for as long as you can. Three is half way there, not that makes you feel better but the horrible scary ride is almost over if you just hang on a bit longer.
    I went in for my cortisone today and they gave me a great sedative in the IV, I have no idea what it was and it made me not care much about anything. Ask for that during your chemo.
    I will be there in thought with you on Thursday. I will try to feel your pain and discontentment so you don't feel all alone, that is if you do. Hugs and love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are not clueless silly. Send me a tiny drawing

      Delete
  2. I agree with Vicki; try weed! Natural with no side effects. You look adorable in your new ensemble. I will be sitting next to you! Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That really sucks that the anti nausea drugs aren't working for you, Zofran worked great for Bill, but his chemo regime was different than yours and anyway, it sucks and I'm sorry. Love love love your cashmere hat and scarf, so perfectly adorable! When this is all over, you will be able to open a fully stocked hat store, or donate all your hats to others heading down the road you're now on, or keep them and come visit cold New England in the winter :) Love you spicy, thanks for the update!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading me. We are going to hell in a hand basket here! Mike is sick! Triubled teens are staying with us! Lice have returned! V lost her phone and backpack and will be suspended tomorrow if I don't dye her hair tonight, and of course I'm not. Anyone wanna give me a ride to a hotel?

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Please visit Violet in in school suspension ! :)

      Delete
  5. What a cool thing to do on the last class day. They will not forget you -- and not just because you fed them. I, too, think your boxes are a positive way to get keep worries about the future from spoiling the days you feel good. As my grandmother would say, "Don't borrow trouble." I'm glad that you can put the future out of your mind at least sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kathryn Adams (the cuz)December 3, 2013 at 6:24 PM

    Oh my, what an amazing woman you are. I am grateful for YOU and your ability to describe what I've lived along side but never really understood, until now. You are right, we do shelter our children, grandchildren and nieces from the horror of the "cure". I am giving today in your honor. Love - Kathryn

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the Italian had and scarf - looks so good with your eyes, but really, everything looks great with those eyes! So sorry to hear about the lack of successful drugs. It would be great if the perfect drugs for you were easily found, but alas, it is not so. Will keep you in our prayers- and those of some other people who are better at praying than I am:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the hat and scarf so much ! My fav on you !!! What a great idea to feed the class and take the family today. I know it's hard to release teaching this spring ...sucks to stop, even temporarily, when you love it.
    We send our love. Ready to go with Thursday or pick you up. Whatever you want. XOXO Mona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Come visit me tomorrow in the poison room!

      Delete
  9. So great to see you last night, Amy!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I found a little comfort not seeing as-often posts. I knew it was because you were doing normal things, not just failing to have something to write about. My dad called me today to ask how you were doing. It was sweet. The Van Peski's love you and they look forward to having you guys over to their new house. My dad thinks it was funny when Mike was working at Sematech and on his name plate outside his door he put, "The Temp" Love you to pieces!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am glad you liked it and you look great! I can imagine the feeling to start a new cycle of chemo just when you are feeling better! But you are strong and I like your positive attitude and you will kill all the cancer cells. One day this will be over. I have to plan a trip to Austin so I can prepare some Italian food (the Mediterranean cuisine) that will make you to forget all the bad moments. Ciao :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Amy , dear... it is good to hear from you. I have been imagining all you have been doing away from your blog. We your readers are still following! I am taking an intensive teacher training in movement improvisation and last night we did a great exercise -- takeoff on the old game "follow-the-leader." Playing with the idea of "interpretation" of movement (as opposed to "imitation"), and choices of timing...(fast,slow,stillness), and staying true to ourselves and our own impulses even as we open to connection and allow ourselves to be influenced by those around you. Why do I ramble on about this? Because your blog feels so similar in its rhythm and choices and responses. And it feels so real and meaningful. Thank you for sharing! We are following!
    With love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm interested - keep on rambling girl! Thank you for your ceaseless love and wonderfulness!!!!!!!

      Delete
  13. Your pleasure in the moment at book club was wonderful, in the true sense of the word.

    If only our science could deliver what we expect it to. Strange, isn't it, how we have acquired the means to destroy our entire planet but are still fumbling at healing ourselves?

    Maybe Einstein had an idea why that is so: "No problem can be solved from the same level of consciousness that created it."

    I hope you have much fun today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did! Now it's chaos but with gin and Valium and steroids and teens and lice!

      Delete