Thursday, December 12, 2013

Weak

I feel weaker this time. When I walk up the stairs I feel my legs saying um. The nausea has a different quality too. Instead of a strong feeling of oily hateful disgustingness, this time I feel more straight up nausea like I could, you know...actually throw up. Everyone wants so much to hear that I'm doing so much better this time that I don't want to write my blog or talk to anyone. I'm not anyone's cheerleader.

Yes parts of this cycle are different and maybe a little better, but it's still the drecktitude of chemotherapy and it has me down. 

You know the Bee Girl song by Blind Melon? Called No Rain. Go watch the video if not - it's pretty cool. The song is about depression. I like it. I don't like our society's response to depression - smile! Cheer up! Get over it! Don't feel that way. People actually tell other people: don't feel your own self. Amazing. We are really embarrassingly crude in some ways in our culture and I'm curious what they'll say of us in the future. Sometimes, many. times, it is appropriate to be depressed. Acknowledging this is actually uplifting and can make you feel much better. I try to live in a way that is happy and celebrates life - I think I do. But now...I am temporarily flattened. Ok?



All I can say is that my life is pretty plain
I like watchin' the puddles gather rain
And all I can do is just pour some tea for two
And speak my point of view but it's not sane, it's not sane
(Blind Melon)

I can take a ton of Marinol and Valium and Compazine and be stoned and flat and sort of ok if I don't move. But through the waving foam of stone there's a feeling of cancerous dread and black despair - it's not fun. Not a good buzz.

I just want someone to say to me
I'll always be there when you wake
You know I'd like to keep my cheeks dry today
So stay with me and I'll have it made

Went to campus yesterday to return papers to students. I rallied pathetically - showing up in ripped jeans and a HELLO THERE sweat shirt. A lot of my students showed up and I said "have a seat in my office" from my slumped position on a low flung couch backed up to croissants. They all crammed in around me - I felt like I was having a salon from my divan. I had crumbs all over me and bad socks. I noticed the rip in the right knee was actually more like a gulf, about a foot long and flapping - my entire unfortunate dry pale right leg was on display. I have pretty good legs but showing the 3 inches below the knee, the knee, and three inches above the knee is not generally considered an effective way to feature a good gam. I felt that any respect they may have had for me was previously earned and, if it were valid, would bear this latest minor assault. There were lots of words and hugs and I was sad to say goodbye. It was lovely. But it about did me in. Leila drove me home and helped me thank you. Have barely moved since.

And I don't understand why I sleep all day
And I start to complain that there's no rain
And all I can do is read And I don't understand why I sleep all day
And I start to complain that there's no rain
And all I can do is read a book to stay awake
And it rips my life away, but it's a great escape, escape, escape

You know that creepy dead girl in The Grudge? Who slithers around on the floor, head first? That's how I get around now.

We are having our house cleaned today - a luxury. Rare treat. To prepare, we usually straighten up first, doing things like getting wet towels off the floor in the kids' rooms, picking up loose detritus everywhere, and oh, say, GETTING DRESSED and geting out of the house. But today. I don't know if I can. Do any of it. They may find me here in my bed, and fold me, spray me, make me into the bed, or recycle me. Trash me. I should be embarrassed. But my brain molecules are not sufficiently excited to generate the energy of embarrassment. I lie in wait. Must move.

I hesitate to write this stuff - I know I let my readers down. Don't think I'm asking for sympathy - and believe me when I say: this is very worse on me, for me. I am disgusted with my own self, my own skin and bones and head and face and arms and mouth. A feeling of hatred chokes me yet I cannot escape this housing even for a second. It's like a sick claustrophobia inside a rotten locked gas station in the dark. I don't want to like my bald head or to think I look good - I want me to pulverize and come back another day. I think the poison has gotten into my psyche. But not my mind. It's still sharp.

Sinking deeper into the bed. I want the maids to lightly hold me, clucking over me, turning me this way and that as they efficiently and quickly spray me with lavender and pat me into the cool crisp bed while chattering brightly to each other "oh esta chica, sólo tenemos que arreglarla."






15 comments:

  1. Entertaining when you feel horrible is a double edged sword. It might reassure others but making the person who is not 100% provide the energy and reassurance is awful and draining. I'm glad you got to see your students and hope you get lavender sprayed and tuckd in tight today. We think of you often and hope for better times!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh - feel for you
      I'm not as entertaining as usual
      Ha ha I made a funny

      Delete
    2. Amy - you still (in the depths of your despair) made me laugh. The part about the maids is priceless. Then I cried. I'm still crying. I'm so,so sorry. I'm looking for the words to describe how this sucks but you did a pretty good job doing that yourself. In a few months - when this is all over and you have your book deal - you will find some solace in knowing that this pain has generated powerful,haunting writing. Until then, "I'll always be there when you wake".

      Delete
    3. And can we celebrate that I finally figured out how to reply!?!

      Delete
    4. Yes! Thank you for your sweet words. I'm a bit better now.

      Delete
  2. Coming from a stoic family of the "cheer up" variety, I admire your ability to be real and feel the horribleness of what you're going through, which may sound weird but I mean it in the most compassionate way. I suppose getting weaker through the process is the cumulative effect of all the nasty, cancer killing chemicals, but horribly unfair. At least you know you're halfway through and maybe soon will be envisioning a time when you will not even remember what you're feeling now. I'm hoping you can take small comfort in whatever makes you feel even a teensy bit better right now, whether it be blogging, having a clean house, or feeling the love of your students and knowing that just by being who you are you've had a positive impact on them. Love you bunches and sending you warm comforting thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the reminder that no one wants a "cheer up - what's wrong with you - everything will be fine" in your face when you don't feel fine or cheerful. Love and hugs, Jenna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Knowing who your real friends are and seeing they're there for you - like you guys - is an ACTUAL cheer up. Thank you

      Delete
  4. Darling girl, you're where no woman wants to be -- you've lost control. There should be some comfort in that. It's not your fault. And it's temporary, smartie pants! Oh, how I wish I could FIX it for you, but you'll have to do what us wimmen do best: float & wait. We've been doin' it since the caves. Tried & true. Your turn. (bet your students thought you were sexy!) Love, auntie m

    ReplyDelete
  5. Depression wasn't ever acceptable in my childhood home. I became an expert pouter. "You'll be sorry when your face freezes like that," my caretaker told me countless times. To see the poster you've put on this post that to say we can't be s ad because someone might have it worse is like saying we can't be happy because someone might have it better electrified me. That says it better than even Viktor Frankl does in "Man;s Search for Meaning" that we each have our own level of hardiness, and no one can presume or judge what someone else's level is. Even from the cave of dread and despair you teach us. The dread and despair strip away the makeup to reveal your essence, and it illuminates.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that little picture and its message - I didn't think of it though . Your caretakers were wrong

      Delete