Friday, December 27, 2013

Can't wake up

Apparently cycle number four in chemotherapy for me, this time, is starting off at a sleepy pace. I can't seem to do much but lay around, and sleeping feels good. So far that's not too bad. It's a little hard to drink enough water and eat enough food when you're not really awake or hungry, but I did go into the clinic today and get a giant bag full of juicy saline solution injected straight into my heart. So hopefully I won't shrivel up and dry up  too much. And Nurse Annabelle is the perfect combo of bossy and sustaining.

Everyone else is going out to dinner without me, to Julio's, one of our favorite places in Austin. I told Annabelle to try one of their mango margaritas because they are divine. Somewhere else in the country one of my friends is having a celebration of her bat mitzvah, and I wish I were there to have some Prosecco and chocolate cake with her. Later this weekend Annabelle and Dave will go out to a honky-tonk to hear some real Texas music, maybe the Broken Spoke, or the Horseshoe Lounge, or a couple other places we heard about today. I won't be attending any of these things, but I will be imagining them from my bed or maybe the couch if I get adventurous. I don't mind missing any of these events, I have done so many fun things in my life that if I never did any of those again it would be okay. However I know that I will be doing a lot of hella wave things in the future, and yes that I'm lucky to have done and lived what I have done and lived. So far.

My view now: I have reached the summit of my evening goal - to drink a glass of juice and eat half an apple. My goal is dramatically featured in the foreground of my still life "Amy's Basket of Post Chemical Chemicals." 

Right now I can't think of much about the future, like whether I will go to the Lorde concert on March 30, which no less than four people have asked me about. Or whether I will substitute teach at the kids' school the spring, or take an art class, or when I will have my next surgery or when radiation will start, and if that will be five or six or seven weeks. I can't think of any of that right now. I'll just go back to reading my magazines and snoozing my days away.

Just saying hi.

But not everything is about me. Tell me about you. How was your Christmas? What's bothering you right now? What are your New Year's resolutions if you have any? I really would like to know. I'm tired of me.

9 comments:

  1. Sleep is good...I love sleeping :)

    After having to put our 9 year old Lab to sleep in May we decided we are ready for another dog and picked out two today! We couldn't bring them home today though :( The boy is getting neutered in the morning and the girl is going to need heart worm treatment but they are the sweetest little corgi mixes you've ever seen.

    Also, this is weird but this week is my favorite week of the whole year. Most people are off, the chaos of Christmas is over, a huge party for New Years is on the horizon, nothing political happens, war usually isn't starting, it's like a week out of time. My husband has the week off so we usually talk about the last year and our hopes, dreams, and plans for the next year.. Does that make sense?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes that makes sense, glad you got two new dogs! By the way the face scrub was a huge hit! Happy new year!

      Delete
  2. So glad to hear sleeping is good for you right now.

    Our Christmas was fun. Sean's mom and brother are here visiting so the kids spend a lot of time hovering around them. On Christmas day, we managed to finish a 1000 piece puzzle that we got that morning. I participated briefly, but most of it was done by everyone else.

    Tomorrow, we're going on a new adventure. Sean's mom (Mindy - you probably met her at a swim meet), Sean's brother, Alex and I are going to work on a Rose Parade float. After growing up in the Midwest, I have always been fascinated by the Rose Parade. I have taken the kids to see the floats afterwards for 2 years. Last year, we went to see the floats being built. This year, we're going hands on. Sean thinks it will be tedious (which it might) but I'm excited to be that close to one of the floats. They are amazing...practically every square inch is covered in some type of living material...silverleaf, potatoes (they make cool stone walls), fruit, roses, irises, rice, seeds, carnations, etc. Look for pictures soon...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I remember her well! Your adventure sounds amazing! Happy new year! We got a 750 piece puzzle but only did a third. Oh well!

      Delete
  3. I'm hoping for sleep tonight as I didn't get much last night. Sleep can be very therapeutic, so let it come!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My first New England Christmas in almost 20 years was nice, started with snow on Christmas Eve which was fun and pretty. Got to see my Mom and sister and two of my brothers and assorted brother and sister in laws and six of my nieces and nephews. Now I'm back on the Cape and last night we (Jane and her family and me) drove to Provincetown (P-town) and had dinner, fresh caught cod from Chatham, delicious! Jane and Lexi are sleeping over for two nights so we're having lots of laughs and girl time :)

    We're having a progressive dinner for New Years Eve, going to Jane's brothers house for appetizers, then her mom's house for the main course, then to my house for dessert and champagne. Still haven't decided what dessert I'll make, do you have any suggestions? Can you even think about dessert or food?

    Enjoy the rest, your body needs it, and there will be more adventures in your future and lots of champagne bubbles!

    Love you Spicy <3 <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I spoke too soon - sleep eludes me now. Your New England idyll sounds so peaceful. The New Year's Eve dinner sounds wonderful - is that in your small town? Miss you.

      Delete
  5. Amy - so glad you can rest. Keep pushing those fluids!

    Our Christmas was surprisingly drama free - not usual for our house - the Grandmas tend to be full of drama. I have managed to read a book a day on break which has been lovely. Hubs is sooooo excited about the Rose Bowl game as his very own MSU will be playing.

    I finished a video for a grant for school - it's not very good but that's okay. We tried. We're learning more every time. Terry and I are working on another BIG BIG one over the break.

    PLEASE let me know if I can make you some unappetizing blah jello or bring by more magazines or anything. Love and hugs,
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Drama grandmas ! Funny! Could be a TV show!

      Delete