Thursday, December 19, 2013

Ominous


The world feels ominous today. People seem to be squinting at me discerningly, mistrustfully. I heard Target may have been breached and accidentally screwed over 40 million customers. (Not in the usual way of just fooling them into thinking they needed stuff but in a new stealy way). I heard a sweet beautiful girl I know was mistreated at school and that her sweet beautiful mother's pleas for help were ignored. I heard that new bloodshed is happening yet again in some other country in the dark continent that bore us all, and that some other ambassador is saying the same things again that every other ambassador has ever said. I heard that 100,000 daughters, best friends, teachers, grandmothers, tea brewers, mommies, frenemies, fathers, clerks, drivers, sons, wives, husbands, boyfriends, girlfriends, grandpas and single people have died in Syria, 11,000 of whom were baby children. I heard Sanderson Farms' chickens are buggy, not great for either their eaters or employees or delivery truck drivers. I heard the machine guns in the background of Regina Spektor's "My Dear Acquaintance (Happy New Year)" and I hear under the words her commentary - I get it. 

My dear acquaintance
It's so good to know you
For strength of your hand
That is loving and giving
And Happy New Year
With love overflowing

Christmas is coming. I cannot wait to see my my sister - another side of me. But I feel sad today. This is such a deeply sadly beautifully sad time of year. Everyone knows this.

Were those old Christmases really so gay and bright? Or do we just think that now through the haze of nostalgic Polaroids? The plump ladies in their suntan hose and pumps and cat eye glasses, that seemed from another era even then - now smiling up at us from the sticky photo album. On that day were the adults gleeful, or maybe really tired of the kids' shenanigans? Maybe they didn't think it was SO FUNNY when Max and Danny, drunk with excitement, awoke the whole packed household at 3 something am by shrieking and peeing upon the basement wall with delight. 

Maybe we know, underneath, that those olden golden times were just the same as the days are now - and that it's a trick to romanticize the past. That we fool ourselves - our gullible and starved-for-peace selves - and that we buy it, but know it's not true. And that maybe that kernel of knowledge is the source of the little bright feel-good pain. 

Have yourself a merry little Christmas,
Let your heart be light
From now on,
our troubles will be out of sight

Or maybe those were the good old days. And we are sad that they're gone never to be here again. I miss my babies. Holding their bonny bodies. Never ever again. It's too much to know.

Faithful friends who are dear to us
Gather near to us once more.

Through the years 
We all will be together,
If the Fates allow
Hang a shining star upon the highest bough.
And have yourself A merry little Christmas now. 

I miss everyone. And yet.

There are contrasts to this sad ominousness.

Jenna and Terry sent me home from the kids' school today with homemade schnitzel and spaetzle. Two stunningly busy school principals, on the last day of the year, while the entire school is a tornado of hyper excited kids and pizza and music and burp contests and Fritos and Dr. Pepper and chocolate - MADE ME DINNER. 

Fiona's teacher Amy today had an Elf party in her room - complete with quoting along with the movie, eating spaghetti with maple syrup....AND a Coke-chugging burp contest. 6th grade. I think this may be the coolest party I've ever heard of in my entire life.

And the prettiness of nature
The kindness of talking
The safeness of home 
The hilarity of youth 
The security of hearing Mike on the phone talking/working in the other room - taking care of us.
The messy gladness of Violet and Fifi.
My books.
My friends, one of whom is having a bat mitzvah tomorrow. 










9 comments:

  1. Even during the romantic period of the holidays where people get lost in the memories of the past and the lyrics of the holiday music, there is the realization that there are places in the world not as glamorous or prosperous as where we live. The news a constant reminder that life does suck at times. Family to offer comfort and support. Children to remind us of the carefree days we all long for again. I love the lyrics of the Christmas song you posted. Don't be sad my friend, but if you must I hope it only lasts for a brief time as happiness is much more fun. Namaste.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And the divinity in me sees the divinity in you too. Don't worry, I'm not too sad. Sending love to you Vicki

      Delete
  2. I was thinking today that Christmas is lonely now that I live alone -- but I reminded myself how Bob would get so grumpy with the lights, which was his job at Christmas, and how all of us just kind'a gave him a lot of room. And the kids would get tired and start fights, and one of them always had an ear infection. It wasn't an always happy, warm and fuzzy time, but I loved all the wrapping and the decorating and the hubbub. The real reason I look back on those times as such good times is because all four of us were under the same roof. Someone told me once that when she and her husband looked back over their lives, they realized that the golden years were when the kids were still at home. Amy, I love how you treasure the time you spend with your kids -- the hard times and the sweet times -- how it's all good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you are right. I am so nostalgic even just for my kids a few years ago...and when I feel weird or freaked out at all, all I want is to be with Mike and the kids - I sometimes wonder if it really is a bit of quantity over quality (counter intuitive) - just being together in ANY way is best

      Delete
  3. Stay brave, Amy. You are an inspiration. Love you, C

    You can be amazing
    You can turn a phrase into a weapon or a drug
    You can be the outcast
    Or be the backlash of somebody's lack of love
    Or you can start speaking up
    Nothing's gonna hurt you the way that words do
    When they settle 'neath your skin
    Kept on the inside and no sunlight
    Sometimes a shadow wins
    But I wonder what would happen if you

    Say what you wanna say
    And let the words fall out
    Honestly I wanna see you be brave
    With what you want to say
    And let the words fall out
    Honestly I wanna see you be brave

    I want to see you
    I want to see you
    I want to see you
    I wanna see you be brave

    Everybody's been there, everybody's been stared down
    By the enemy
    Fallen for the fear and done some disappearing
    Bow down to the mighty
    Don't run, stop holding your tongue
    Maybe there's a way out of the cage where you live
    Maybe one of these days you can let the light in
    Show me how big your brave is

    Say what you wanna say
    And let the words fall out
    Honestly I wanna see you be brave
    With what you want to say
    And let the words fall out
    Honestly I wanna see you be brave

    Innocence your history of silence
    Won't do you any good
    Did you think it would?
    Let your words be anything but empty
    Why don't you tell them the truth?

    Say what you wanna say
    And let the words fall out
    Honestly I wanna see you be brave
    With what you want to say
    And let the words fall out
    Honestly I wanna see you be brave

    I just want to see you
    I just want to see you
    I just want to see you
    I want to see you be brave

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love this poem or these lyrics...? Or did you write? Thank you for sharing. Some of my good Xmas memories are with you..,

      Delete
    2. Ah ha! I figured it out.... Sarah Barielles! Love her - have you heard Winter Song by her and Ingrid Michaelson?

      Delete
  4. At least you didn't wake up to a TPed house! :)

    ReplyDelete