Saturday, December 14, 2013

Relax don't do it

Yeah yeah I know.

Hmmm....I'm awake and warm in my bed with my youngest baby snoozling and snurgling right next to me and I feel...almost comfortable. The engine room may be righting itself. Homeostasis, that long longed-for shore, may be seen in patches through the fog. I hear wind chimes and I see sun trickling in through the blinds. It's quiet and peaceful and I want to CRASH the peace and DO something. I think. I'll wait and check the other sections of this ship. But it feels cautiously nice, I dare say, to consider a day?

To keep myself from going fruitcakey during times where I'm too splatt to watch TV or read a book or magazine
- yes Virginia those times exist, I engage in thought experiments. My dear tumbling dice friend Hillary has the good skill and fortune to host a Friday night radio show in Sonoma County called Beyond and Back where she plays a few hours of music with some kind of theme - like rule breaking women, 60s blues, mother daughter tunes, or WHATEVER she wants. It's totally tubularly horribly amazingly sparklingly AMAZINGLY superb - in other words I'm insanely jealous and in love with her show. 

Hillary knows and loves music, like me, and we can and do, talk for hours about it. It glues us and we mark our lives, and our lives together by it. We will recount times by what song was on, and send each other lists - like this one from over 9-10 years ago - which I still have on my wall and read every single day:
Lists like these are commonplace for me, and her. I've got one in my head now for my chick cd. I think in music. There's always a song underneath the melody of my thought and another one under my speech, and a third beating in my heart. I think it's my religion. All genres invited. 

Which brings me back to my thought experiment. For Hillary and her show. I've been lucky enough to help co host her show - as have our kids - and I love it. JOHN AEILLI I WANT YOUR JOB. 

So in times lately where I can't sleep eat read watch TV talk or do anything visible, I've been turning inward and thought experimenting. One such endeavor was dreaming up a difficult theme for Hillary's radio show. The music world is so rich that there are an infinite number of easy themes for a two hour show - songs about dogs, songs Elvis redid but by the original, Icelandic pop, Australian country, worst 80s, father and son rockers, rockers who went country (Robert Plant), and on and on. And Hillary is super creative and every show has a really cool idea. (She needs not my help!) However, I'm always with her in thought anyway . Oh! Here's another one of my favorite song sub sub sub genres - (another thought experiment) - songs that SAMPLE another song, even by the same artist, at the END of a song. Or say something. Examples:

1. At the end of "Band on the Run" as it's fading out Paul says "She loves you yeah yeah yeah!"
2. At the end of "Love Will Keep Us Together" Tony Tenille says "Ahhhh, Sedaka is back!"
3. In Joni Mitchell's "River" she throws in a few bars of "Jingle Bells"
4. Madonna sampled herself singing a bit of "Vogue" on her song "Erotica" from Bedtime Stories
And many more...Gordon Sumner does this a lot. Who thinks about this stuff? I do.

Anyway here's my latest fantasy idea for a DIFFICULT show theme for Hillary's show: She would have to play GOOD "pop" music! Has to be current top 40 or if that's too hard maybe from last few years plus current. Why choose this? Because the truly OPEN minded audiophile is open to even this shudder-producing genre. I say it's EASY to blow off top 40, it's fashionable for adults to say "Oh I have no idea what those kids are listening to now! It's all garbagiola! ALL OF IT!!!" we shriek, not even realizing we sound like close minded Republicans who hate Obama so much they can't even consider anything intelligently. "Oh he cured cancer - I HATE HIM!!!!!" 

Don't be a Don't Bee.

Spinning right now in my fantasy show?

Safe and Sound by Capital Cities - jam loud this song is quite good

Royal by Lorde - even better is her song Team - maybe it'll release big soon off Pure Heroine

Radioactive by Imagine Dragons

We're Going Home by Drake - damn this is straight up good

I dunno yet rest. It's a fun thought experiment. I'm working on it. Not Roar by Katy Perry - that should be changed to Bore. Ideas? I'm open. Hillary? 

Where will I be today? 
Book Prople?
Genie?
Terra Toys?
Home?

I could show you what you wanna see
And take you where you wanna be
You could be my luck
Even if the sky is falling down
I know that we'll be safe and sound
We're safe and sound!

I could fill your cup
You know my river won't evaporate
This world we still appreciate
You could be my luck
Even in a hurricane of frowns
I know that we'll be safe and sound!

(Safe and sound)
We're safe and sound
(Safe and sound)
We're safe and sound
(Hold your ground)
We're safe and sound
(Safe and sound)

I could show you love
In a tidal wave of mystery
You'll still be standing next to me
You could be my luck
Even if we're six feet underground
I know that we'll be safe and sound
We're safe and sound!

Safe and sound
Safe and sound
Hold your ground
Safe and sound

We're safe and sound
We're safe and sound
We're safe and sound
We're safe and sound




36 comments:

  1. I love Royal by Lorde. Have you seen the acapella version from a group of women at Florida State University?

    The group is named AcaBelles.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1Xe15-Ayf4

    ReplyDelete
  2. I listen to Top 40 daily with my girls. It keeps me young and connected to them. Imagine Dragons is amazing. Dan, the lead singer, is only 26. The way this kid can command an audience of 4000 people is awe-inspiring. He makes you feel like you are having a one on one conversation with him. Thrilled you like Safe and Sound. It is so sweet. One of my faves now! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love exploring the top 40 - I LOVE imagine dragons. They are so good

      Delete
  3. This post speaks vitality. An opening in the fog. I am so glad.
    Just as I am glad to receive the chick CD. Just as I am glad to receive a flash drive full of music from Ray for presents. He introduced me to some of my favorites. Do you know the group Eluvium? Perfect for listening to while writing. And Gem Club.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can check all information for CAT preparation click
    cat 2015 result
    cat 2015 results
    cat results 2015

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now,you can share father's day quotes and greetings.
    Father's day greetings
    Fathers day quotes 2016

    ReplyDelete
  6. You can share Best Hindi status with your family and freinds.
    Love Hindi status
    Best hindi status for whatsapp
    Sad Hindi status

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post!! Thanks a lot for this kind of perfect topic. I have not a lots of information about it but I have got an extra unique info in your unique post.
    Chocolate Day 2017 Quotes
    Propose Day 2017 Quotes
    Hug Day Quotes
    Rose day date
    Valentine Day 2017 Quotes
    Valentines Day week list
    Teddy day 2017 quotes
    Rose day 2017 quotes

    ReplyDelete

  8. -
    you and your blog is deserving of the highest esteem or admiration. Your writing and understanding skill is so high. I appreciate you.
    Click Here : Used excavator cat-330cl for sale in cheap price

    ReplyDelete