Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Spindles

Another drug I injest through my chest is called Taxotere, which I have discovered is an "anticancer substance of vegetable origin" and is also a "spindle poison." Are you a vegan or vegetarian or or person who presumes to like vegetables perhaps? (I say presume, because in some of my experience vegans and vegetarians are people who do the worst things to vegetables, which I find highly ironic. I think vegetables can be quite delicious.) Vegetable is now a highly charged adjective. Vegetable poisons. Vegetable politics. Vegetable furniture. Vegetable counseling and mail order grooms. 

According to the Merriam Wenster Dictionary the term "spindle" means:

1 a : a round stick with tapered ends used to form and twist the yarn in hand spinning b : the long slender pin by which the thread is twisted in a spinning wheel c : any of various rods or pins holding a bobbin in a textile machine (as a spinningframe.

I tend to get spindle and spinning looms and spinnerets or something mixed up in my head in some vague fairy-tale-evil-stepmother versus beautiful innocent young girl miasma, or a spidery Ariadne Greek themed dream. With pricked fingers and blood and death and sleep and dark attics or Hades. Metaphor, part of the layered Jungian same story never ending narrative of human life: blood birth, blood spilled, blood death, no escape. We, as in humanity, have pondered and written our story, seeking its meaning, for millennia, always through a red lens. A feminine red lens - overcompensated for with fits of knights and rules and gods. Yeats said the "blood dimmed tide." Always a prick and innocence lost, and always death/birth. To me this spindle idea is part.

So then, what is a spindle poison? Is this a redundant phrase?

Well apparently when chromosomes break apart they then migrate along a "mitosis spindle" which is a thread of protein. Spindle poisons get in there and "disorganize" this action. Let's just say they fuck it all up. The chromosomes, a colorful bunch, are all like "hey let's split, cheerio!" and they ride their little tiny bicycles along the thread highway and then this poison rain comes along and rains sludge upon them so their little windshield wipers on their goggles don't work and they all crash up. Or something. 

A quote in and amongst the jargony text I'm inferring does say:

"Unfortunately, spindle poisons, as numerous and varied as they are, still are yet to be 100% effective at ending the formation of tumors."

That is rather unfortunate. Right now that little set of evil vegetables is killing and chilling in a Poe-like manner parts of me. Namely the most far out parts, the very ends of the very ends of my star points if I were a starfish: my finger tips and toe ends. They are deadly tingling or tinglingly dying. Their nerves are shriveling up and calling in sick. I only hope that if a rogue cancer cell is hiding in my body, that it's chosen Big Toe, Right Side, as its address because everyone in that room is dead. 

Where've I been?
Mailing stuff, lots of stuff. I've been very postal.
Making tea.
De-pressing
Reading cramming gorging on poetry
Losing eye hair beauty
Even doing online poetry trivia contests like some kind of freak cat poetry lady weirdo.
Having guests. 
Getting comfortable with being awake all night and just being there. I feel about the same if I sleep or don't, eat or don't, drink or don't. Do or don't. Mostly I don't. Wanna.
Dreaming. In one dream I was angrily gushing at my mother for not understanding how awful it was for me to feel so wasted on life/death feeling that I wondered if I wanted to go on, that it was like I'd lost my own me and saying accusingly to her something like god you don't even know what it's like, it's like losing a child, you don't even know! And simutaneously knowing how impossibly hugely grandly evil a thing that was for me to say or even conceive of because yes she did know did lose a child my brother and no one knew it better than her, and me, and my sister, and my father....and at that moment the dream dissolved disintegrated and I rose to the surface of my consciousness (under which I'd only been an inch) with a dreadful feeling of guilt and shame and awfulness and dread sorrow. For her. For her? For what? And the question of am I really a horrible person? Everything was terrible.
Floating. Forgetting. Everything.

Do
Write to me
Borrow a book
Ask me a favor
Take me out to lunch
Take three items out of my house
Tickle my child
Put away my dishes and shoes and scissors/debris
Tell me about you
Share a fantastic poem
Tell me what you think about the music I recommend you listen to
Puzzle me
Give me a long survey or questionnaire or exam or quiz or test
Watch television with me while eating snacks
Take my children out to lunch
Charm my husband
Leave me a secret note written on the wall somewhere in my house or inside of the door or cupboard 
Say anything
Laugh inappropriately 
Tell outrageous lies and stories  

Don't
Bring or send me any physical items larger than 2 inches tall by 3 inches wide, unless from Nordstrom or Iceland or your drawer
Worry
Fear me
Wonder what to say - anything'll do
Censor 

People asked - that's why the list above. 
Last chemo February 6
Then I'll be radiant 

Sources:
1. Made up 

2.http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3086919/

3.http://www.oncoprof.net/Generale2000/g09_Chimiotherapie/gb09_ct12.html



13 comments:

  1. spindle. Rumpelstiltskin. about losing your child unless you can guess his name. which is like the name of some of these drugs.

    Jungians believe the characters in dreams are all part of our psyches. We are both mother and child to ourselves. rebirthing ourselves every day; longing to be mothered every day. Individuation. coming to consciousness. Why does it have to be so damn hard? like birth itself. getting squeezed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are already radiant
    But then what the hell girl
    More radiant longer life
    sounds good enough to
    have a lot more fun
    down the road

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mais oui--tout va bien de ce point. Je sais bien que tout va bien. . . . Je t'aime.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your mother is with you. I believe this. And she understands your dream. No guilt. Not permitted:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the photos! You look radiant, even if you don't feel that way.

    I'm good with "don'ts," so here is something from Iceland. Possibly soporific :)

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rawlqee9SI8 (highlights of 2 tours)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfu9jtiIq2M (double eruption of Strokkur)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIrsMgXmRas (stark landscape)

    Sorry; I don't have an Iceland t-shirt :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for these videos! I've always been sort of curiously fascinated by Iceland and I love some musicians from there. I have no idea why I'm interested in this country, I have no connection. I absolutely love your photos and I would love to hear more about your trip. Thank you so much

      Delete
  6. Here's a quiz for you: http://bbc.in/1baWQgh. I hope you enjoy it. The lists you include in this post are terrific.

    Much love,
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I look forward to trying this quiz, thank you!

      Delete
  7. I don't know much about all that Jungians stuff, nor do I have the time or interest at the moment. But if I lived closer I could do half those things on your list and then some. Here is a little lie of a story. Long long ago there was a young man and young woman who were looking for a roommate. They put an ad in the paper and many people called and inquired about the room. One young woman has just returned back to town and needed a place to live so she was going to stop by and check the room out and us out. When we opened the door there she was, big blue eyes, wavy blond hair, spindly long legs and fairy wings. She fluttered in to the entry and introduced herself while fluttering here and there and making nonsensical conversation about being there, and now she was here, but needed to be there and had to fly away soon. She bobbled and wobbled and took a look at the room. When in moments she turned and spun and said she liked it and if they liked her they could think about it and let her know. She then stretched her wings and fluttered out the door. The man and woman stood there in surprise and agreed that she had won the prize. She was fun, and fast, and whimsical and cute. She moved in to the room and they all became very very good friends and she would sometimes loan her wings out to her new found friend. The End.

    ReplyDelete